Solid waste :- This is organic or inorganic materials that are not free flow.
It can also be seen as any garbage or refuse or air pollution control facility and others discarded materials, resulting from commercial, mining, Agricultural operation and also from Community activities.
Solid Waste management:- Is the systematic administration of activities that provide for the collection, separation, storage, transportation, treatment and disposal of solid waste.
Transfer Station:- this is a designated refuse storage area use for a temporary storage of refuse before it’s conveyed for final disposal. The transfer station also also serves as a place where scavenging and recycling activities occurs, hence reduced to a large extend the volume of wastes or refuse to be finally disposed.
Benefits of Proper waste Management/Disposal
If properly managed, it will;
- reduce air pollution.
- Reduce the rate of vectors of medical importance within the Environment.
- Minimize illegal waste dumping.
- it can serve as controlling place for sorting processing wastes.
- Government should help in station design and operations.
- Government should help with functional vehicles to help in transportation of waste after sorting.
- There should be provision of adequate manpower and well Trained public health workers to guide the local operators.
- There should be proper supervision by higher authorities like Ministry of Health and that of Environment including others sister agencies.
Written by Sanitarian Pangkwal Suleman
EHO in practice.